In my previous post I talked about the Screwless Gear Cube and my attempts to drive it with a motor.
Unfortunately the first attempt was very humble and naive as I can say now when looking at it from a retro perspective.
As you might have read in the first post, the idea was to glue a rubber hose to one of the edges and fix another edge which is 90 degree oriented to the rotating one.
The short version is the glue did not hold and brake for one of the edges in the very beginning and for the other a couple of minutes later.
The motion of the cube nevertheless is interesting, and what I want to achieve can be seen in this rough video which was taken short before it broke:
It was clear that I had to try something new. Being thrown all the way back to the beginning is always a good possibility to inverse your thinking.
The new Idea was to take the cube apart and work more closely with the single units rather then trying to work with the assembled cube.
In the image you can see how it looks teared apart and especially interesting is how the middle part looks.
I realized that it would be easy to drill a precise hole from one end to the other and add that hole also on two of the corresponding gears.
Obviously this hole was perfectly suited for a metal axis.
Then I realized that it would be possible to fix the axis on one of the gears. So that I can turn the axis to drive the whole cube.
The only thing that was left to be added to this concept was to fix the middle part against the turning axis.
I did that by leaving out one of the gears and adding three metal screws that should hold it in place on the motor platform.
The missing gear is not really a problem for the cube!
With this new technique it should be possible to drive the gear cube with a motor from only one visible axis.
Which is great because we would have more rotation axis free than I planned before.
The only problem left is that the cube lost its stability after working with it with heavy metal and disassembling it several times. So it probably will not drive very long when I finished the motor plate to hold the cube in place on Friday.
But that is okay since it is only a prototype and the final result should be of course a modified 3D model which has all the necessary holes and connections.