The first idea I had for this project is to make an wind / solar powered machine that with time would be able to modify the landscape without human interaction. It could also be used as a tool for land art projects, to plant, plow the land or even decontaminate land of nuclear waste.
Since this is a first approach and I am not very skilled in the physical world at this point in this stage this project will be powered by a windscreen wiper motor instead of a renewable technology engine as planned initially.
Out first goal is to make a device that digs holes, a basic excavator and if I have enough time I would add wheel so it can also move.
On the first day I learned how to weld, grind and drill steel. I start working on a simple structure that will do the movements to dig.
For day 2 I plan to add a shovel so it can (theoretically) start digging .
Today I have been wielding the shovel. It was my first wielding experience, at the beginning I was kind of nervous, all those volts … but after a few tests I got pretty confident to start my task
basically this was my job of the day, weld everything together and fix it to the board. It sounds easy but was challenging. I had to weld again because the first welding was not well done and it broke in the testing.
By day I had the shovel, the engine and mechanism that supposedly should dig when working together. In the morning I was able to put all together but on day 3 but the automata was not able to dig. after a few seconds things got tangled. It took some time to screw everything firmly enough.
The solution was to use a motor controller so I could control the rpm of the system.
At the end I managed to build something capable of digging.